Sunday, June 26, 2016

Our Potty Fairy Princess


We've known for quite some time that Emerson is ready to be potty trained but I've pushed it off because I don't think I was ready - and also how exactly do people get toddlers to do their business in a potty when all they've known is diapers? The 'let go anytime, anywhere' gig seems too good to part with. And yet the majority of the ENTIRE WORLD figures it out. Head scratcher!

Once, a few months before Landon was born I tried this technique that was all the rage. Basically you put them on the potty every fifteen minutes for a few days. A few days??? I was tricking myself thinking that was going to work for us. I lasted 45 minutes (yes, meaning I only put her on the potty three times) before that plan was scrapped for eternity. We've been in limbo ever since. 

I saw that a fellow mom on Instagram introduced her son to Mr. Potty (a potty with eyes drawn on a chalkboard). And besides the Potty Fairy Princess book someone gave us, those are our only references. Hello world! I need a step-by-step manual complete with timelines, photos, and studies to back up the research, pleeassseeee. 

But a week ago I dusted off the ole potty. She played around with it for a few days. Then one morning I put Landon down for his nap and asked if she wanted me to read to her on the potty. She obliged. 45 minutes,100 books, and a huge water bottle later, she did it. 



Cheers all around!

Now whenever she's at home I'll take off her diaper and sometimes she makes it to the potty and sometimes she doesn't. But we are headed in the right direction. 


Also, isn't my husband the best in the whole wide world? 

Two first bumps to the chest for all you mamas out there who have potty trained. Also, I'll take any and all advice/personal success stories you've got. 😋

No comments:

Post a Comment