Monday, September 10, 2018

A Public School Girl in a Private School World



Today I went to my first PA (parent association) meeting at school.

Coming from a public school background, I wasn't sure to expect. The only time I remember there being parents and a meeting is when I was chased home from school in middle school by a few girls who lived in the projects (that's low income housing for all you PS <private school> people).

And while I have a distain for public school, I also oddly have a sense of protectiveness about it. These are real people. Most of them good. Trying to do the best they can. With that said, I would grade my education as a 4 out of 10. Could one of my teachers have inspired me? Nurtured my interests? Taught me the multiplication table? Is that too much to ask?

Today my mouth literally dropped open when my daughters teacher told me she couldn't wait for school to start this morning.. combined with all the exclamations and excitement one could muster on a Monday morning. I'm usually good at reading people and she seemed pretty genuine. Geez, I don't think I ever felt that way any Monday for any job I held. You?

Anyway, all this to take us back to this casually well dressed PA mtg. My conclusion was that there are a lot of cum laude graduate school, non working moms putting all their energy into this school. Which is great! And also, can I cringe when the newest fundraiser idea is to gather gently used couture clothing/accessories for resale?

Yes, yes I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment