Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My 2014 Intangibles

In all the hubbub of Christmas and New Years, I didn't get the chance to give my summation of the last year. They have been revolving in my head for the last few days and I must get them out so there's more room up in the noggin to remember the important things, like my coffee sitting in the microwave.

You never know what a year brings. There's the standard stuff that you expect, like a vacation or a new term, a resolution, or a promotion. But always, at the end of the year, I am left with surprise for what the year held. Last year's surprises.

A bum thumb. A few days before we left for Portland I slammed my right thumb in the car door. Lame. One second mistake that has irritated me every day since. It wasn't so much the fracture but the **** nail that bothered the **** out of me. Thankfully that finally fell off at the beginning of December. Imagine your nail loose but still attached bothering you with every brush of the counter, reach in the purse, or grab by Emerson. I shudder thinking of it. A minor yet chronic irritant. It was a good test of holding my tongue though. I tried my best not to complain about it and I somewhat succeeded. I think. For full disclosure ask Josh.

In 2014 we moved twice. We are comfortable, safe, and content now. I can't tell you what that has done for my insides. I guess I didn't realize I was living with my toes curled in until I wasn't anymore. A relief of epic proportions. 


The flow of appreciation and love shown to my parents. My dad has been the pastor at his church for 37 years. Him and my mom's life has been about their ministry to those who have passed through those doors and there have been good years and hard years, as it is. But in 2014 there was an upswell of love showered on them. I cannot tell you how much this has moved me. This came up through Instagram and I sent it to my mom. Yes!

Our daughter. Everyone always jokes about the lack of sleep and the change that happens when you have a child but nothing can prepare you for it. Nothing. The cliche "you go through it and come out a different person" is my truth. Life is not about me anymore and that has made life much more rewarding. I cannot describe it other than that. If you don't believe me, I encourage you to go birth a baby. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment