Monday, November 2, 2009

My Miyabe is His Miyabe


This is my grandpa.
I know, I know...cute little Japanese man. =)

For work I have been visiting all of the churches in the conference spreading the word about emerging leaders. So far, I have been to Venice, Westlight, South Bay, Anaheim, One Voice, and Peninsula. What amazes me is that at every church, someone has come up to me and asked me if I am related to another Miyabe they know, John Miyabe. Everywhere I go, from the young churches, to the well established ones, there have been people who realize he is my grandpa and just have to come and tell me how much they appreciate him for what he's done. One man said grandpa was responsible for helping him to get a pastorate in Japan. Another women said he is the reason she found Christ. Another said they know one another from Shuyokai (Japanese summer camp). Another just said how much they appreciate him for all he did for their church.

I have known that Grandpa ran quite an extensive ministry within the Free Methodist church, but you never really know the full scope of his ministry by just talking to him. In fact, he never talks about it at all! But I can see the extent of his ministry through the people who just have to come and meet me because they are hopeful my Miyabe is his Miyabe. His legacy of devotion to the people, even during the years of internment, are quite far reaching. Maybe not in the worldy sense, but in the Kingdom sense. I know he has many crowns awaiting Him. Because of him I feel so proud to be a Miyabe...and hope that in some small way, I am carrying on such a rich legacy.

2 comments:

  1. "Proud to be a Miyabe, where at least I know I'm ME..."

    *Sung to "Proud to be an American"

    ReplyDelete