Thursday, November 12, 2020

2 Corinthians 8:2-5

When we were growing up, every time my dad would receive an honorarium for performing some pastoral duty, we would gather as a family, decide who was in need, and secretly give them some. My parents did not have a lot of money and as I've grown into the parent role, I am ever aware of the unending needs of my family. It makes what my parents did even more remarkable. 

To this day, I don't know more generous people than my parents. My mom, who dreams all the dreams of fixing up her house, finally buying a new couch, installing central heat and air! They could have done all that by now but instead they chose people, loving people.

In the Japanese culture, people give gifts to one another based on how much the other person has given them. It is all fair, all the time. What a stifling way to give! and what a perversion of the way Jesus intended. 

In Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians he talked about the generosity of the people from the Macedonian churches. He said that even "out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity." And hear this! "They urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints." 

My heart is open. My eyes are searching for ways to be a blessing to my community. As we head into the Christmas season may we jump at the chance to be the hands and feet of Jesus, even in this trial of a year. No matter how much we have or don't have. 

And just maybe, as I grow, they will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment