Thursday, February 15, 2024

LENT - A broken Alleluia

I learned something new (to me) about the practice of Lent. 

Did you know that, dating back to the 13th century, some church denominations have abstained from saying "Alleluia" during the 40 days of Lent? In Hebrew, Alleluia means "Praise God" in a celebratory and joyous way. @littlechapelway (an excellent resource on Lent for kids) said "it is a way we remember with our words that we are in a season of repentance, of turning from and putting to death our sins. There is something poignant about that and yet I think for me, this year, I respectfully break from this symbolic tradition of not saying Alleluia and instead I offer a broken one. 

I will whisper Alleluia through my brokenness and darkness. 

Fully aware of my lack.

Fully aware of my faults.

Fully aware of my mistakes.

Fully aware of my failures. 

And in deep contrast, fully aware of His holiness. 

His glory. 

His grace. 

His love.

In my brokenness, I say through gritted teeth and tear stained cheeks, Alleluia.

I will say it even though

I will say it even if

Alleluia

No comments:

Post a Comment