Monday, February 8, 2010

Not Consumed

Recently I have been reading through Lamentations. The people are crying out for help. Their city has been torn apart by war and the horrors they experienced were unfathomable - massive slaughtering of all generations, starvation, cannibalism, rape, exile, and everything else that comes with war. Through it all I am always overcome by these words, spoken from the very one who experienced the terror and who could still not yet see an end in sight:

Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." Lam 3:22-24

Let our faith and hope be so grounded that weathering the worst storm would still have us whispering these same words... "we are not consumed, your compassions never fail, you are our portion, we will wait on you."

No comments:

Post a Comment