Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Traditions

It has been nonstop since we set foot in the great big city of L.A. A grand whirlwind of parties, dinners, baking, shopping, laughing, fighting for parking, games, sleeping late and waking up even later.

This Christmas was unexpectedly humbling with much received and little given.

I often wonder how other people celebrate Christmas and what traditions they keep. In the past I had two favorite traditions. The first was Christmas Eve candlelight service. Did I mention it was candlelight? There's something about the visual representation of one lit candle in a dark room, spreading throughout the sanctuary and eventually bringing the room to a soft glow. Each year I could just feel the Holy Spirit spreading with each passed light. This year was different because our church rented a community center and had a huge service on Christmas Eve. It was just as well, since I actually didn't make it. I have a new tradition now that I'm a Mrs. =) An annual family Christmas Eve party with Josh's side. It is the only time of year this side gets together and it is an honor for me to participate. I was a bit nervous going but was warmly welcomed by my new extended family. Isn't God gracious and good?

My second favorite tradition was waking up Christmas morning at mom's. The four of us would sleepily gather in the living room and separate the presents. Then, before we'd open a single gift, dad would bring out his bible and read the Christmas story from beginning to end. Then we would pray together before digging in. This momentary pause in the hectic season always touched the core of my soul. Maybe it's because every other moment is go-go-go. Maybe it's because I am blessed with a father who thinks it's important to honor Jesus. I can't pinpoint the exact reason but I'll tell you that I always close my eyes and soak it in because the moment is gone so quickly. This year it was slightly different since we had church Sunday morning. And although it wasn't quite the same as years past, the fact that Josh and Blane joined us for the first time made it my favorite moment of the season.

Here's a look at Christmas around the world. Descriptions and more found here.








No comments:

Post a Comment