Thursday, December 7, 2023

A wide open space and a thing about Josh

Josh and I did one night away last month together. The first in a long time - and boy was it wonderful. 

We used our points and flew up north, rented a car, and stayed in Yountville. It had everything packed in to 48 hours -  good food, a relaxing time, trying new things, and visiting new places. He finally drove an electric car and I finally rode an electric bike! We laughed, held hands, savored our food, sat for a long time at meals, slept in. It was heaven. 








And then we had a sweet reunion with the rascals. 

Here's a thing about Josh - he is so much more than he seems. People often joke that I'm "tied down" because Josh has set up our credit cards so that every time a purchase is made (his or mine) he gets a ping. Mostly for fraud control. He doesn't use it to control me. He isn't questioning my purchases. And because he does that, I don't have to worry about it - like, at all. 

What looks like control is actual freedom. 

One of his hidden gifts to me is the freedom he gives me to pursue Jesus. I can do it how I want and when, and he just works around it. He doesn't question my process. He doesn't rush me when I'm in the Word. He'll watch or listen to something that touched me, even when he's doing his own study, so that we can have meaningful conversations about it. He isn't embarrassed by my zeal or afraid of my intensity. 

Every response of his to my pursuit of Christ is a display of his great love for me. The wide open space he gives me is a constant fresh breath in a complex life. I cherish this beyond what I can express with words.

Closing out the year grateful for the time with him - and HIM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment