Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Art of Hosting

One of the joys of being home is being able to have people over. I've been so excited to host people that we've already had a handful of people come by. Josh told me to pace myself because me, and our budget, won't be able to sustain this lifestyle. ;)

Ever since I've begun the journey on how to cook, I've come to appreciate a great meal. One that starts with a well thought out drink, a complimentary appetizer, a satisfying dinner, and the touch of a sweet ending. I like thinking through a meal to anticipate the needs like cut limes, extra spoons, more ice.  I've come to think that hosting is a fine art which includes the ability to facilitate an ease of conversation.

Tonight we had Sheldon and Kristin over.

I made Auntie Ruth's Seven Layer Dip, Pioneer Woman's Restaurant Style Salsa and Chicken Tortilla Soup. For dessert, we high tailed it over to our (quickly becoming) favorite place, Diddi Riese. (I have a feeling the close proximity of that place is going to be an issue...for my waistline.  Who can only buy one when the cookies are 35 cents?)

Here's our halfway set up dinner last night, with the dining room table given to us by Josh's Jichan and Bachan. I'm a bit embarrassed to show you this picture for danger of underwhelming you. I didn't have a center piece or the proper table settings. I still need some serving platters and serving utensils. But this is the truth and the truth is always good enough.


I have a lot to work on when it comes to hosting. There's always another level of cooking to attain and a prettier, more functional way of presenting the meal. But in the meantime, I'm having fun figuring it out.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment