Tuesday, May 20, 2014

, check.

If you aren't a parent, people just don't get the effort it takes to do things. I'm not ratting on non-moms. I'm saying this because those people? Yea, that used to be me.

'Wait, why wasn't she on time? She had all morning!'

I roll my eyes at my former self. But now I get it.

Today my cousin, Noah, graduated from college and I was determined to be there. He's like the little brother Aimee and I never had. Besides, I've already missed two important graduations this year (both my sil and bil) so I wasn't about to miss another. My obstacles for this giganto event was an early feeding time, a long drive with the potential for a crying baby, the heat, finding some place to nurse, and some place cool and quiet to watch the ceremony.

A non mom would have no problemo with this scenario. My old self might have even complained about the time it took to find a parking spot. bah!

But the baby and I made it. She woke up a little later than normal, 4:30 hungry as ever - and that worked perfectly because she was able to sleep a bit longer after her appetite was satisfied so I could get myself and her stuff ready. bottles, check. diaper bag, check, restock diapers, check. light blanket for sun coverage, check. heavy blanket in case of chill, check. stroller, check. carrier in case the stroller doesn't work, check. paci, check. three outfit changes just in case, check. check, check, check.

And the good Lord (please say that in your best southern preacher voice) took care of us. Well, Him and my mom, and my dad, and Noah's friend, Ryan. Yea. It took all of us to take care of two babies.

Of course, it was absolutely worth it. My cousin is worth it. And I can honestly say it was the most fun graduation I've been to. After the ceremony we went to my Aunties for lunch and I laughed harder and longer than I have in months. So I was blessed too.


Sure it takes 80% more effort to do things. But you gain 80% more appreciation for the small moments, 10% more thankfulness for loved ones who go the distance with you, and 10% more strength for the next time. Sounds like a decent investment to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment