Wednesday, August 20, 2014

37 Years Strong

Quite fitting anniversary picture for these two - rarely a moment when they aren't carrying a
baby, chasing after Cole, or holding diaper bags. 

My parents are celebrating 37 years of marriage today. 

They met at Asbury Seminary in Kentucky. My mom was getting her masters in education and my dad was working through his seminary degree. At first my mom thought my dad was a foreigner who didn't speak any English. ha! 

My mom is from a well to do family in a small town in Mississippi. When she brought an asian home the whole town didn't quite know what to make of it. Miss. Milk Pitcher marrying a tall Japanese man!

Beyond the obvious, their differences continue. My mom is outgoing and friendly. My dad is an introvert and quiet. They don't like the same television programs. They don't really like the same restaurants. They don't eat the same. Or drink the same. They don't exercise the same. They prefer different extracurricular activities. They think differently. Act differently. Respond differently. BUT they love the Lord and have a genuine heart for people. They are united in the way they love the church, love people, and give to others. And they value family. 

My mom always says they wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for the Lord. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Jim and Suzanne! You have a beautiful family!

    Paul Shiroma

    ReplyDelete