Thursday, August 14, 2014

5 months // The Task of all Tasks


Tomorrow my little dumpling hits the 5 month mark. 

She is rounder, heavier, longer, and more alert. She is almost sleeping through the night - and that has been the most significant physiological change. 

But what defines this five month marker to me is her level of awareness. I can see her taking each part of the day in. She is learning right before my very eyes. It is a fascinating phenomenon and also one that makes you quite conscious of what you are doing and how you are doing it. I suppose the time of instilling ethics and helping to forge her character has begun. I find myself more aware of how I speak to people, of people, the tone I carry, and how I go about doing daily tasks. Am I being complete? Am I following through? Am I speaking in love? Am I demonstrating love? 

It would be an fair assessment to say that the beginning was hard but I think we are entering into a different kind of hard (and one scares the begeezes out of me!). Being the primary person who shapes the quality of another person? The task of all tasks!

Yesterday we went for a walk together. Oftentimes, I pray aloud as we go for whatever/whoever is on my heart. But yesterday a deep fervor welled up, urging me to pray the armor of God over her. So while we walked I pleaded with God to put his belt of truth around her waist, the breastplate of righteousness around her tiny body; that he would fit her feet with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace, and give her a huge shield of faith, a firm helmet of salvation, and a generous sword of the Spirit.

~
Also, this post is everything I want to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment