Monday, April 20, 2015

Grandma

Today is my grandma's 91st birthday. We celebrated yesterday afternoon with lunch in the park.


My grandpa did a write up in the senior bulletin at church for Mother's Day. This is what he had to say.

The person you see me with in church every Sunday morning is my wife and companion of almost 70 years, Marian. She is the mother of my three children who are now in their 60's. 

The seventy years have been good years. We were married when I was a theological student in Chicago and she was a student at the Art Institute. It was during the WWII years which was a somewhat hectic time. 

Unlike weddings today, ours was a very simple affair. Both of us were separated from family who were still in various stages of resettlement from the Poston relocation center. We managed through the kindness of family and friends. We hurried back from San Diego, where we were married, to Berkeley for seminary classes the following week. 

Our first home was a room in the home of a member of the Berkeley church. We had no car but got around by city buses and street cars. Marian supplemented my somewhat meager salary working as activity playground director in the city of Berkeley. She was later employed in a business office in Oakland to where she commuted by street car. 

She also helped in our church running errands to various places by city bus and street cars. Our home situation improved when we moved into facilities at UC where I took classes in German to qualify for residency. 

We were next appointed to Glendale Arizona. The parsonage had an outside toilet and a bath facility. We checked nightly under the bed for scorpions and other night intruders. 

During my twenty eight years as conference superintendent, Marian was invaluable to my work. One night a group of discontented members of one of our churches packed themselves into our home. I was away and Marian hosted them until I returned. 

We have traveled much together in every continent except Australia. We traveled to churches in Japan, Hong Kong, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Peru. We also visited Israel, Greece, Egypt and Rome. 

Marian has been with me through peace time, war time, health and major illnesses, in English and Japanese speaking churches. 

I bring these things up because of my thankfulness to God for her.

93, 91, 3, 2, 1 1/2, 1 and 1. 

These little kiddos have been given a strong DNA - one that can weather the storms of life by holding steadfast to the promises of God. One day that quiet strength will see them through something.

God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment