Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Jichan


Josh's grandpa, Jichan, went to be with the Lord last week. Although in his 90's and regaled with the normal health problems that age brings, he seemed to be doing alright so we were somewhat shocked and certainly saddened to say the least.

There are many, many stories about Jichan because he was such a vibrant, full of life, guy. But while the thought of him does bring a smile and a chuckle to your face, it was really his kindness that I will remember. He was loud and to the point but he always came from a place of love. He was also the first person who truly made me feel welcomed in Josh's family. 

I do have some funny stories about him too. Of course. 

He and Bachan came to know the Lord later in life, in one of the most miraculous stories I will save for another time. They began attending the same church I attended and soon it was a weekly thing to walk up and see them with the seniors, chatting and eating. We would hug and catch up. 

One Sunday, I could tell he was looking for me and when he saw me he made a beeline for me. I wondered what the urgency was. He asked me, in his not so quiet voice, "has that grandson of mine put a ring on your finger yet?!" and I laughed and said, no. And he replied, "Well, he'd better get to it, otherwise I'm going to take a hammer and hit him over the head! Knock some sense into that kid." lol 

At our wedding rehearsal lunch, people were making speeches and Jichan stood up and was basically saying he was excited to have me in the family, despite the fact that I was only half Japanese. He cited that in their family they have a Jewish person, and said in awe, "and believe it or not, we even have a full Filipino!" He went right on talking his merry way and didn't realize that seated right next to him was my bridesmaids boyfriend, who was 100% Filipino. 

He was good with his hands and was the type to tinker with something until he figured it out. He was also a hard worker, after the internment camps he started a plumbing business that his son still runs today. I can remember him telling me that the key to taking care of customers was being respectful. He said he used to take of his shoes at each job to show the people that he cared. 

I will remember going on fishing trips with him and eating good food.

When we called him to tell him that I was pregnant the second time his first question was, "do you know what it is?" and when Josh told him we were having a boy he could not contain his excitement. "Oh that's great news!" "Wonderful, Josh!" And I can see Jichan in my son. They share the same posture and something around their lips is the same. I hope Landon inherits Jichan's kindness, work ethic, and care of family.

He is cherished and will be missed.




No comments:

Post a Comment