Monday, June 25, 2018

VJCC Festival

I grew up going to our local VJCC (Venice Japanese Community Center) festival every summer and this past weekend my children participated in the Bon Odori dancing. My MIL brought out all her traditional outfits and hemmed them for the kids. Landon's happi coat was actually Josh's when he was little and danced at the same festival. 






My Sis knows the steps and hand motions for each song so she led the little ones around the circle while the Taiko drums played in the center.




A while back Sharon bought Emerson a book called Suki's Kimono. It's about a little girl who attends her local festival with her Obachan (grandmother), eats specials Japanese treats and wears a special outfit. Oh the pride she holds in her heritage! I'm hoping a bit of that influence was left on my children after this weekend, especially because Emerson keeps asking me if we are Chinese or Japanese. lol 

matane!

No comments:

Post a Comment