Sunday, June 2, 2019

Grandpa Mike

Yesterday Josh's family gathered to celebrate the life of his grandpa, Mike. It was neat to hear people share their personal stories and memories of him. Josh and I have been married 8 years and dated 4  so I've had the privilege of cultivating a few of my own stories.

When Josh and I were first married, we were living in the Bay Area. Mike and Kathy lived in Walnut Creek so we would often drive to their place and hang out. Kathy would cook or they'd take us to their favorite restaurants and we would talk. Mike would tell his many stories of flying (he was a pilot), of family, and of God. Oh man, did he love God. Each morning he would wake up at 4:30 and study the word of God. His study was filled with books about Jesus and pilot memorabilia.

Mike was meticulous. Like, really meticulous. He had a tennis ball hanging in his garage to aid in parking the car but I swear he didn't need it. Out of the thousands of times he pulled into that garage to park I can say with authority that he parked the exact same way, down to the inch, each time. He was disciplined and thorough. All traits Josh inherited.



Truth is, I've never known anyone like him. He was the rarest mix of humble, gentle, kind, and yet self assured. He had no airs whatsoever. He was easy to be around and accepting. He's hard to explain but I boil it down to this, I've never known someone so pure of heart.




And the most amazing story. He was sent to Texas to train for his new job at American Airlines. On a flight he was seated next to a professor at Dallas Seminary who struck up a conversation with him about Jesus. He shared the gospel with Mike and it was the first time he had heard of it. Eventually Mike would come to know the Lord and know him deeply but it was because of that man's gumption to share the love of Jesus to a stranger on a plane, that Josh's entire family knows Christ! And because of that, why I am married to Josh. That moment changed the trajectory of generations within their family and changed my life too.

He lifted me out of the miry clay; He set my feet on solid ground and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40

I imagine Mike has since found that man in heaven and told him the news, and them weeping together in gladness. And also the many, many people who have introduced themselves to Mike, thanking him for the role he played in their own salvation.






Mike left such a deep impression on me and those around him. A Godly man of pure heart. Tomorrow he would have been 92. Happy Birthday, Grandpa Mike. You are truly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment