Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our Wedding Day

Leading up to your big day you’re inundated with advice from well meaning people. “Make sure you eat before” “Don’t sweat the problems” “Take in each moment because it’s over before you know it” “Try to focus on the positive things because afterwards all you remember are the things that didn’t work”.The weekend before I steeled my mind to this advice. I was determined to enjoy the moments and cherish the day. 
Well, I don’t know if anyone else had a great time, but I had the time of my life! Josh described the day as “perfect”.  In hindsight a few observations of what made our wedding work:
  1. Having killer vendors*. When you’re booking vendors no one tells you how much their attitude affects your wedding day. We had the BEST vendors! Every person came with a kind heart and went above and beyond what we asked them to do. Our caterers were just the nicest group. They blended in but were always giving a heartfelt smile and a genuine congratulations. When we were leaving and they were packing up at 12am Josh and I went to thank them and they made us feel like it was their privilege to have been there. Can you imagine? When I walked into the venue our florists were setting up and literally my jaw dropped open. They made linen table liners, individual succulent mini pots with a “J & J” tag glued on each one, and the centerpieces were to die for. They also brought extra flowers like it’s just what they do and used them to decorate the desserts. Cool people. And lastly, our photographers were like our friends by the end of the night. I knew about them and they knew about us. You know, you don’t realize that photographers are with you the entire time. These are the people you’d want to be around - they are that cool. Laid back but professional. Jaime, the wife of the pair, even helped me to put my earrings in!
  2. Being surrounded by generous family and friends. Josh’s brother Luke is very creative and gifted. He saw the space at the rehearsal, blew up our engagement photos, matted them, and put them all over the bookcases! He also spray painted all our votives, helped Kylie with decorating the fondant on the wedding cake, and took care of setting up the photobooth. Undercover best man right there. Kylie, my SIL,  for learning how to work fondant and making the most beautiful wedding cake. Christina, my friend who can do anything (no really) she was able to take what I had in my head and translate it to much more - she made the individualized programs, decorated the sweets table and the photobooth, made celebratory flags for the ceremony, worked the welcome table, printed menu cards, and made all our signs! Wowza. Our families with baking skills made all of the delicious cakes and pies on the dessert table. Our friend Steven came and video’ed the whole day and our other friend Kats made our wedding video. Lori made the entire night so smooth. I didn’t have to worry about a thing. We are surrounded by such talented people who were generous with their time and energy. I am so thankful. 
  3. Having family who are 100% excited. I often hear about a disgruntled aunt or mother who doesn’t agree with this or that decision and is all upset at the wedding. I can’t imagine what a damper that would bring to the day. Our family from Mississippi and Washington, and all the grandparents were so happy and excited. Their joy made our joy deeper. 
  4. Bringing good weather. At first it was too cold and then too hot. I think I had hot flashes the week before worrying about the weather. Of course, it seemed to be fine the day of. Praise the Lord!
  5. Having great parents. We are so loved and supported. 
  6. And for me personally, having Aimee. She was my rock. 
The morning of the wedding Aimee and I prayed that this day would glorify the Lord. We asked that those who didn’t know Jesus might catch a glimpse of what they’re missing. I heard that during the ceremony some of the catering crew were so touched they were crying. I am hopeful that people somehow felt Jesus.
Some memorable moments:
  1. Praying with Aimee in the morning
  2. Seeing Josh for the first time when walking down the aisle
  3. Dad marrying us
  4. Josh’s vows (even as I write this I am still awestruck by what he said)
  5. Our grandfather’s praying for us
  6. Josh's dad's words of wisdom about getting things we don't deserve
  7. Sheldon’s advice about bobbing and weaving
  8. Josh dancing with his mom to "You Raise Me Up" (which fits them perfectly)
  9. Dancing with dad
  10. Having each person there was a blessing. They say you can’t remember people, but I remember every hug, every congratulations, every tear.
Although there were some people I wish we could have invited, I have no regrets about our wedding. I am left with a sense that we are more blessed than we deserve. Although we are practically paupers now, I wouldn’t return a single penny or change a single thing. God was glorified and I married the most amazing man in the entire world. 
                             

*Vendors - If you're on the hunt these people are stellar!
Food: Huntington Catering Company ask for Justin or Liz
Venue: Smog Shoppe 
Photographers: Viera Photographics 

1 comment:

  1. JJ-It was such an amazing day! I loved both yours and Josh's vows. Love to you! Gotta hear about Taihiti when you return.

    ReplyDelete