Wednesday, August 24, 2011

To the Tips of my Toes

Sunday night mom and dad drove up to see our new place and spend a few days with us. It was their first time here. I was looking forward to their visit. I ain't gonna lie, I knew that it would be filled with fun things like gifts, free dinners, and maybe a pair or shoes or two. It was all those things - Josh and I have a new end table in our bedroom, mom bought him treats and sweets, and I was the recipient of a new top as well as pretty toes. Shameless I know, but I couldn't help it*.

But the free stuff wasn't the take away. Something's changed now that I'm married. My relationship with my parents is different. I was in the post college stage for almost a decade. Even though I was "independent" I think my parents still saw me as someone they have ultimate responsibility for. And maybe I was still acting like that girl who needed ultimate responsibility. I'm not sure. But there was a parental pull between giving independence and still trying to steer me in a certain direction. Now it's like "You're Josh's. What type of decisions are you two making together? Ok, what can we do to come alongside you guys?" A mutual understanding of life placement if you will. Our conversations were maturer and more thoughtful. There was a level of adultness that hasn't been there before. And because I felt that subtle shift I too responded to them differently. I felt more open in talking about what is really going on, more free to be myself, and more willing to hear what they had to say. I'm excited to begin a new level of relationship with them.

If you don't believe me that something has changed...
Monday night mom and dad said they "wanted to treat their son to a steak". I was aghast. If you didn't know my dad is NOT a big spender. Dinner out means no beverage, no appetizer, and no dessert. Their Tuesday date night splurge is El Pollo Loco. So you can imagine my surprise when dad ordered an appetizer at dinner! And not just any appetizer, he ordered a sashimi platter!! I was floored and I couldn't hide it. We took a picture and sent it to Aimee. Apparently this is what you get when you marry Josh. Here's the proof.
I'm looking forward to this new time of Aimee and I both being married and our family functioning together at a new level. I could see the potential for family vacations, weeknight dinners with everyone, establishing new traditions, and continuing old ones. I couldn't see it before but the semblance of our future took a bit of shape this weekend and it has brought a deep contentment to the tips of my toes. To the very tips of each of my 10 toes.


*I can imagine parents scoffing at this and people my age nodding in understanding. =) Although I would bet that parents nowadays still appreciate getting stuff from their parents too. Is this true all you parents out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment