Monday, October 31, 2011

Bah Humbug!

To say I am not a fan of Halloween is an understatement. Don't get me wrong. I used to love Halloween. I used to love Halloween when it was filled with the sweetness of toddlers dressed up as Disney princesses and princes. I used to love Halloween when it was brimming with the innocence of fun with neighbors celebrating community. But Halloween isn't what it used to be. Two weeks ago a block down from my parent's house there was a fake seance erected on the lawn. And two doors down from my in-laws there's a homemade haunted house for teenagers. Last year they even had a man running around with a chainsaw in the street.

The day teenagers took halloween from the kids was the day I turned my back to it. Pluussss, I'm a bit of a fraidy cat. Yup, scary movies, dark places, deserted parking lots...all spooky to me no matter what time of year.

You can imagine my inner thrill when I caught sight of my beloved Christmas popping up. Ah, Christmas!

At the Grove last weekend. Workers were installing the infamous Christmas tree. Infamous because it's the biggest decorated LIVE tree in Los Angeles. Ohh, it smelled sooooo good!

And imagine my surprise when I walked into Lowe's this weekend to find THIS. AH! My heart skipped a few beats and I was happygiddy the rest of the day. =) You can't see it but behind that "believe" sign is a huge blow up of Santa going in and out of an outhouse. Josh wanted that on our make believe lawn. I was arguing for the manger scene. :p 
More red, white, and green galore. Heaven!
And Christmas popped up at the Heavenly Treasures fair at Abundant Life.
 Handmade ornaments!

At night, here in San Jose it's been chilly. For me, fall signals the annual fight between summer and winter. And although summer puts up a good one, in the end it always succumbs to winter's demands. I am extra excited for winter this year. For dinner parties, giving presents, baking sweets, being with family, eating yummy food, shopping, laughing at stories we've already heard, singing Christmas songs, celebrating the birth of our Lord...and most of all being able to do it all with my new hubby. Our first Christmas. We can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment