Saturday, November 26, 2011

The One I Forgot

Currently cozied up with Melissa on Aimee and Blane's couch. Tonight they got their first tree and we were here as they set up the garland and their first stockings. Aimee is a great decorator and their living room looks amazing.

I can't help but feel blessed being home this weekend. On Thursday Josh and I went over to my Auntie Ruth's in the afternoon and in the evening we headed over to Josh's parent's house for number two. I know we are so spoiled having two places to celebrate.

At Auntie Ruth's we did our annual "what are you thankful for" sharing time before we ate. Each person gets a corn kernel and as you share you put your kernel in a cup and pass it to the next. I always get teary eyed hearing what people have to say. This year there were three standouts:

1. Cousin Stephen (Regan's dad) - He's a newbie father and you can guess at what he would be thankful for. Still, incredibly moving.

2. Uncle Mark (Auntie Ruth's husband) - He's private and not publicly affectionate but he talked about his appreciation for his wife. Brought tears to my eyes.

3. Cousin Noah (the youngest member of our family...until now. :p) - There wasn't one thing he said that stood out to me but while he was talking I saw a maturer more spiritually sound man. I was so proud of him. I am privileged to be able to watch him make his way through different stages of life and to see how he's grown in the Lord. Really amazing.

My sharing was all over the place. I think that's because it's been such a year of thanks that I can't land on just one thing. There was one thing I didn't share that I should have. I am thankful for our parents. My parents and inlaws went above and beyond for us. They helped with every aspect of the wedding. They take care of us when we come home. They moved us and visit us. They feed us and listen to us. They keep tabs on us and don't every make us feel like an inconvenience when we totally are.  I just am blessed with the best parents and inlaws a girl could ask for. You know, you never tell your parents thanks when you're young even though you say it your mind. Well, mom and dad and mom and dad - I know it's not enough but thanks. Thanks for everything.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Now go get your tree!


No comments:

Post a Comment