Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Ugly, The Bad, and the Great - An Olympic Review

The Ugly

1. My biggest beef this year - NBC's delayed coverage - I would have relished in fighting to stay awake at 4am to see Michael Phelps get his 19th medal or waking up at the crack of dawn to witness Gabby take the women's gold. Those moments are super special and worth it when it only comes around every four years. The games lost much of their luster since I knew who won way before the broadcast. People say that NBC isn't up on the new technological movement but I don't think that's the case. Sadly, I think it was all about ad sales and revenue. Shame on NBC for putting money first.

The Bad
1. Terrible USA outfits. What in the world? Josh put my thoughts to words when he stated, "Nike needs to remember they're not above the world." The nations flag and its colors aren't a trend people. -_-



2. Track and Field Coverage - I just wasn't drawn into it like I was the first week's events. The commentators voice was hard to listen to and I wished for more background info on the athletes earlier. Did you find this to be true too? 

The Great
1. The swimming announcers, Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines, the gymnastics commentators, Tim Daggett and Elfi Schlegel, I just LOVED their voices. And I appreciated how they educated me on what was to come or could have been. I wished more from Bob Costas and appreciated the tough questions from Andrea Kremer. I hope all of them are around forever and ever. Don't you agree?

2. The Games. Absolutely, what will keep me coming back no matter how bad the coverage is, are the games. Being a naturally competitive person (say what?), I love seeing shocking finales, life altering loses, and most of all hearing our national anthem played in the triumph of the win. Brought tears to my every time!

3. Olympians on Twitter was so fun. I felt like I had an all access pass right here in little 'ole San Jose. Especially loved all the pictures!

4. London's choice of colors and venues. I know they didn't have The Cube, but I loved the neon colors! The bright purple outdoor volleyball court, the bright pink gynmastics floor, bright blue handball arena, and all the rest. Perfecto!





5. And I couldn't do a whole Olympic review without mentioning the Royals. Loved seeing Kate, William, and Harry in the stands. They were the cherry on top.



London, thanks for the memories. Thanks for keeping it safe and well planned out. Top notch and cherrio.
Rio, see you in 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment