Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday Favorites // SHINE //


After thirty five years of teaching, my mom is finally laying down the chalk. Last night she had her last Open House. Aimee and Boo went, as did my dad. I wish I could have been there to celebrate the sweetness of a lifetime of achievement.

When I was younger, once in a while my mom would bribe me with an increased allowance to come help her in her class. I would go and grade papers, tidy up the room, help one of the groups do something or the rather. To tell you the truth, I never really enjoyed it that much. Those buggers were exhausting and all encompassing and I never knew how she managed to go back day after day and still have the energy to be her. 

My mom was one of those teachers you go back to your elementary school just to say hi. She believes in using creativity as a means of teaching. She is firm but still fun. She brought excitement into an insect lesson and joy into learning. She saw through immaturity and could identify real gifts in kids. She worked tirelessly each year to be an advocate for her children. She loved them so much. Each class. 

And boy, did she shine. 

Kids loved her. Parents loved her. Teachers loved her. Faculty loved her. She wouldn't tell you but parents would request her for their kids and would throw a tantrum if they didn't get her. 


Mom, I'm not sure I've ever told you my perspective of you as a teacher. But I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you are one of the greats. I don't say this because I'm your daughter but because I witnessed you in action, teaching young lives to believe in themselves, to see their talents, and to be greater than they ever thought they could be.

You have always been one to invest your time in other people and these kids were no exception. I know without a shadow of a doubt the hundreds of kids that you taught and the thousands of parents that you have worked with are better because of you. 


/ /  Y O U  S H I N E / / 

oh, and happy mother's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment