Sunday, May 19, 2013

Stronger

I worked this weekend so I'll keep this short and sweet.

My highlight was Sunday night dinner with Josh's grandparents. It has been a real joy getting to know them as people. Our move here has gifted us with one-on-one time with them which is a real treat. With each meal comes some old, but mostly new stories from the past and that helps me to piece together who they are.

After hearing some tonight I concluded on my way home that they are stronger than I am.

Until I moved up north, I lived in Los Angeles my entire life. Los Angeles, the place where the weather hovers yearlong around 72 degrees. Whenever I go somewhere that's just a bit too hot or a bit too cold, I'm downright dying of heatstroke or practically frozen through. In the same way, life has been kind to me and I must admit, I am weak to difficulty - war, racism, poverty, hardship, you name it. Many things that encapsulated a generation and which my generation never experienced. As each generation goes.

So, they are stronger than I am. But I am stronger by hearing their stories. Little did they know (or maybe they did) they were teaching us how to be stronger.

These are the things I cherish.

1 comment: