Friday, November 23, 2012

Feelings and Frailties

Today was a good day, an all around good day.

A lot happens in one year, doesn't it? My family was no exception. Since last year, Blane and Aimee became parents, parents become grandparents, cousins start their first year in real college, friends get married, sisters get Bells Palsy, people's backs go out and then come back, babies turn to toddlers, grandparents get older, people move away, we suffer death and celebrate in life.

We are each a little older and hopefully a little wiser.

Our annual thanksgiving sharing brought no surprises and the familiar was comforting. I shared about my back. I talked about how God taught me about actually trusting in Him. I'll admit there were times when I would sink to a dark place where self pity, frustration, and doubt would overwhelm me. And how, in those moments of fear, I would whisper aloud over and over, "I trust in you Lord, I trust in you."

For someone like me, whose emotions can (at times) dictate my mood and control my perspective, it was a lesson in turning all that over to Christ and allowing him to blanket that darkness in His truth. His truth of grace and perfect love, and knowing He always works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. He doesn't ever work against you, but always for you in the most purest form.

That is why the first quote on the right side - is the first quote. Have you seen it down there?

"Come to me with all your needs, knowing that my glorious riches are more-than-adequate supply. Stay in continual communication with me, so that you can live above your circumstances even while you are in the midst of them."

This year I learned that God is bigger than my feelings and frailties and that he has the power to help us live above our circumstances, even while in the midst of them.

"Blessed be the LORD, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me!" Psalm

No comments:

Post a Comment