Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Our Original Birth Plan


One of my fears regarding the whole birthing process was how I would handle the recovery from a c-section. And one of the reasons Josh and I opted for the surgery was because of concerns over whether my back would hold up under labor. Surprisingly I didn't experience any back pain during the pregnancy so for a split second we toyed with the idea of having a vaginal birth but after talking it through we settled on our original intention.

I've read that some women feel real jipped when they get cheated out of a vaginal birth. Something about the emotional and spiritual nature of pushing a child out of your own body that brings a complete sense of oneness with your own self and with the baby.

I am not one of those woman. Cut me up and bring her out, I say! 

But anyway, the recovery wasn't as awful as everyone told me it was. Maybe it was the combination of the spinal tap and ample doses of percocet, or maybe it was that I had built it up into something unmanageable in my head, but truthfully, it wasn't that bad. Yea, I was sore and it was uncomfortable but doesn't that happen to every lady who gives birth? 

Anyhow, I don't regret the decision. 

This isn't to say I would tote this path as the best way! It was just our way.

The popular thing nowadays is the Birth Plan. Have you heard of it? Basically, it's a couples manifesto on what they want and what they don't want during their delivery. Doula? Meds? Skin to Skin? Natural? Epidural? Silence? It can be an endless list.

People would ask me what my birth plan was. Josh and I would shrug our shoulders and say, whatever the doctor thinks is necessary when the time comes. A pretty anti L.A. answer I would say. :p

Emily Henderson has the best post about her birth plan. You should read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment