Monday, March 26, 2018

Undone

Last Tuesday I got a call from Emerson's school and the unthinkable happened - they found lice in her hair. *all the disgust. Three weeks ago there was a kid who had it at school but I didn't think much of it. Big mistake. Lice feels so much worse than chicken pox or the flu to me. There are little bugs crawling around on your head for goodness sakes! GAH!

Since I have never dealt with lice I paid these ladies called the Hair Queens to come out that same day and fix the problem. They thoroughly combed through Emerson, then Landon, me, and Josh. Turns out, I had some too, the boys were clear. The ladies were AH-MAY-ZING. The peace of mind they gave me about our scalps was well worth their hefty price. They also educated me on the little bugs (they don't jump and can't live off the scalp longer than 24 hours) and have been my text support all week.  So I learned the comb through technique, and just to be on the safe side, have been combing through the family's hair everyday. So far, so clear. The issue isn't really clearing the head, the problem is cleaning the house of any eggs so there's not another outbreak. Eggs hatch 7-10 days after being laid and since she's apparently had it for about two weeks there was a lot to sanitize. Cue my undoing.


These bugs have almost driven me to a point of no return. 

On Tuesday we vacuumed every inch of the couches (then cover with clean sheets), chairs, carpets, floors, car, car seats. Washed anything with material on hot - floor mats, all clothes, stuffed animals, bedding, pillows, towels. And anything that couldn't be washed was bagged and put away for 2 weeks.

And then each morning (any every day for ten days from the last clean comb through) I strip the beds and wash them, throw the pillows in the dryer on hot for 20 min., vacuum upstairs, re-cover the couches with sheets for the day, comb through the kids, shampoo using a lice prevention shampoo, and spray them with a special spray. Each night I wash the sheets on the couches, any towels that were used that day for baths/showers, and vacuum downstairs. 

My washing machine and dryer have not stopped since Tuesday. Also, telling all the people she has come into contact with in last two weeks. Mortifying.

I am DONE. and I look done.

A PSA for you too, should the unthinkable happen to you

Since you are only as clean as the people you interact with, I also combed through my sister's family.
I'm smiling but I'm dead inside 
RIP all the things in these bags

This year has been one nonstop health issue. Flu, colds, shoulder surgery, PT, allergies, food poisoning, and now lice. Someone save us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment