Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father's Day Tribute to Our Dad's

This is my first Father's Day away from my dad.

Dad and I circa 1982
When we were growing up dad was very hands on. We used to play together all the time and he would cook us the best breakfast. We had so much fun.
When Aimee went to kindergarden, they both cried. He loved being a dad, still does. Whenever I was having a hard time at school dad would sit there silently while I spilled the beans and at the end of my rant he would always say, Trust in the Lord". Every time. Never failed.
This was my dad on our wedding day. Proudly holding a pen that says, "Father of the Bride". My prayer for my dad is that this year he finds greater peace, he dares to try new things, and that he experiences deep lasting joy. I love you dad! 
Guess what? This year I also get to say I have a new dad. 
This is Josh and his dad. See a resemblance?
 He was/is also a great dad - or so Josh says (I wasn't really there for all of it, haha). He has many interests, but I can imagine this one tops most of them - fishing! He loves to fish (as his sons do too). Here he is on one of the many family fishing trips.
Although I had been dating Josh for quite some time, I didn't really know Josh's dad. I mean, I knew him but I didn't know him. Does that make any sense? One night I was sitting in their tv room, just hanging out, and he began to witness to his parents. He wasn't forceful but he was passionate. Making a true plea for them to accept Jesus into their hearts. He talked to them for an hour and a half - I remember because I was shocked. They left saying they would think about it. I will never forget that night. It was intense. The Holy Spirit put a boldness in him. I learned a lot about him that night - sincerity, love, heart, boldness, conviction, emotion. It was amazing. I respect him so much.
A week or so later his parents accepted Christ. 

Here he is with his parents on the day they were baptized at church. I wonder if this would have come to pass if He hadn't been obedient to the Spirit asking him to talk to them. 
Josh and I are blessed with families who love Jesus. On our wedding day Kelvin spoke about getting things we don't deserve. That is so true in many ways. Neither Josh or I deserve to be from such a great lineage - but we are. I hope we are able to continue the tradition that our fathers and our grandfathers have set before us. Happy Father's day, dad's. Above all else, thank you for steering us towards Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment