Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rant

Irritated. Josh and I have been working on changing my name. Why it's not easier beats me. Tons of different forms for every little different thing and each one with their own directions and lack of detail available to the public. It's confusing, frustrating, and overwhelming. Case in point, this link. It's supposed to tell you how to find your local social security office. Obviously it does not. One little detail out of many details that ends in a dead end. Inefficiency at its best.

We finally assembled all the necessary paperwork for the social security name change part. Josh found the social security office through google and I checked and double checked that I had everything. Passport, Social Security Card, Name Change Form, Money, and License and Certificate of Marriage - check.

This morning I drove down to the s.s. office, about 15 minutes away, took a ticket and waited the typical wait time. When my number was finally called the lady took one look at my License and Certificate of Marriage and said I needed the original copy. I was exasperated. No where in the tons of instructional paperwork did it say to bring the original. Josh wants this taken care of so I decided to drive home, get it, and come back. 45 minutes later I'm back in the same office with a new number. But this time, someone near me has the worst B.O. you could possibly imagine. I move but the stench had filled up the entire room. After awhile I wasn't sure if I was smelling like that too. Unbearable. Finally, my number was called. Great, same lady.

You would think the story would end with "got it!" but this is a rant post so that isn't possible. Of course, I was denied. She said I needed a different License and Marriage Certificate. Huh? That's right - she doubled checked with her manager since she hasn't seen an L.A. County certificate before. Huh? That's right. I knew when she walked away for verification I was leaving with exactly what I came in with. Nothing more, nothing less. Why could you not have made this clear an hour ago when I spoke with you the first time?

Wasted day. Wasted gas. Wasted time. Wasted. Just a whole lot of backtracking and no results with more work to do than less. If it wasn't the right thing to do I wouldn't do it. 

To be fair, this is not the B.O. Culprit. Just a picture of Booth 10, where all my hopes were sent down the trash, twice.

4 comments:

  1. So what kind of License & marriage certificate did you need? I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) thanks for the love Donna! and i'm not too sure either. haha Praying for you and that dang foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep things in perspective. At least you weren't changing your name back.

    ReplyDelete