Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Rooftop Shout

*The following is something I typed late one night about Josh. Although I try to quell my intensity for him, today is a day I am allowed to shout it from the rooftops! Here's a peak into my late night thoughts as a celebration of my husband on his 27th birthday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today someone jokingly asked me what Josh brought to our marriage. I laughed in response, knowing the gentle spirit in which the joke was intended. But the more I thought on it, the more I decided what I should have said.

I should have said that Josh is much more than he appears to be. Attentive to a fault and full of compassion. Even when he appears to not be listening, he usually is, especially when it comes to me. He has studied and logged my every move. Put in his language, his algorithm of me is pretty perfect. He often understands why I'm responding that way or what I'm feeling before I even know what I'm feeling.

He's that guy who always puts my needs above his own. Like he'll turn down the air in the car when he thinks it's getting too cold for me even if he's still hot. He is also full of brilliant ideas and I get to be the one to hear them. He never throws his intelligence in my face or in anyone elses for that matter, although I am often tempted to do it for him. He is comprised of many words that aren't popular in today's game such as, thorough, trustworthy, committed, steady, practical, honest, hard working. But these attributes are the qualities I revere in him. He comes off as aloof, but in fact, he is anything but. 

He has somehow built a safety net around us. I know I can do anything silly, lame, or dumb, and he'll still love me. It's like I am swaddled so tightly in a blanket of acceptance, I know I'll never fall out. He is the first to say sorry and never demanding of an apology in return. He allows me to get there on my own. And although I can boil myself over when salivating over an impending fight, his approach always releases my steam before the first word is even said. 

He is the type of friend everyone wants but few know about because he is loyal, low maintenance, and never expects anything in return. The few he opens up to don't know how lucky they are to see the makings of him. And that one ex-girlfriend who broke up with him long ago didn't understand what she had. Lucky for me she missed the gold mine of husband material because Josh works to give you everything you ever dreamed of. And to top it off, he even pays the bills and handles the finances!

If, in return, there's a bit too much talk about technology and usc football, and if I know the rest of my life he will be slow to get ready and will be forever directionally challenged, then so be it. Sweet tradeoff, I say.

In many ways he is everything I am not. And even those who know him have no idea the depth and breath of this man. Because the sum of his parts are greater than the sum of mine.

                                 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Birthday love, (I know I tell you all the time but I don't care) you are so sweetly beautiful. Each and every inch of you dreamed of and created by God. I am praying for a year of dreams imagined and prayers answered. 


1 comment:

  1. this is so beautifully put. had me a little teary eyed ;-)

    ReplyDelete