Sunday, February 12, 2012

A True Voice

I can remember when I first became enamored with a Whitney Houston song. I was thirteen years old and believe it or not, it was from a commercial for AT&T in 1994. The song just got stuck in my head and I sang it over and over again for months. "...the real you coming through, your true voice." 

I grew up singing. When we were little, Aimee and I would practice at home in our PJ's on our stage (the futon) and with our mics (aka the jump rope). 
Whitney really touched me back in the day. Listening to her sing "I Will Always Love You" and "I Have Nothing" with the signature quiver of her lips and sweat on her upper lip, with such passion... man, it's like she made you feel what she was saying.

And although her personal life was mired in tragedy, it is her voice that I will remember - and the way she touched and inspired one teenage girl back in 1994. Tonight on the way home from dinner I found that commercial on YouTube and sang along with it, over and over again, just like old times. In tribute to Whitney..
Whitney Houston - AT&T Commercial

No comments:

Post a Comment