Friday, February 10, 2012

An Enlightened Friday

This weekend we have a dinner party to attend. Ok, not really so fancy actually. =) But we're heading north to the grandparents house for Saturday night dinner with the family. I'm excited that we aren't packing right now and am looking forward to waking up super late in our own bed! (If you haven't already discovered - sleeping in has got to be one of life's greatest pleasures.)

We've gone to dinner before (grandma is a fabulous cook who makes it all seem effortless) but this time I have been tasked with bringing dessert. First time! I'm excited and of course a bit nervous. I already had the ingredients for Knock You Naked Brownies from, who else, Mrs. Pioneer herself so I figured, why not?

Aren't they luscious looking? I stole her picture because mine aren't ready yet. I hope they turn out as good as hers look and her comments testify to, but if not my backup plan will be stopping at the nearest bakery before dinner. :) I'll keep you posted on the impending outcome.

Yesterday I ran across Cooking Light's Most Common Cooking Mistakes and I seriously felt I had a moment of enlightenment. For someone who didn't grow up cooking, these basic methods really gave me a head's up. Like, #30 "Your bacon is burnt and crinkly" Hello! I've only known stove top pan fried  bacon and did not know it's supposed to go in the oven! They have so much more like "Your gravy is lumpy" or "Your mashed potatoes are gluey".
And one I used today for my dessert, "Your caramel meets a burnt, bitter end."
Anywhoo, if you care go and take a gander. It's worth a read-through. Happy Friday!

P.S. Today I mailed my Valentine's Day cards and I am so excited about them. Took me back to the days of candy grams and sweetheart candy. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment