Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

I know a few people who gave in to the spirit of Fat Tuesday yesterday. I know I succumbed to that Samoa girl scout cookie...dang that coconut goodness.

Theoretically I always enjoy the season of Lent. In a world of indulgence and immediate gratification there's something to withholding as a reminder of whom we should be dependent on.

Are you giving up something? I am. And many people I know are. Which I think is great. But this morning a nagging thought kept creeping in. Am I giving up something relatively inconsequential to deepen my relationship with Him or to just to make myself feel better?

My friend Andrew said it so poignantly, "Somehow, modern faith gets so sanitized to the point that Christianity means finding the way towards more security, more control, more comfort. And maybe that's why the invitation toward being a disciple includes some measure of selling or leaving or dying to follow Him, as if experiencing the sensation of loss and dependence is essential to the Jesus Way."

 Praying that I experience a new dependence on Jesus as a reminder that He is essential to the Way.

1 comment:

  1. I think you were 'right on' with your comments about lent. Most things 'come back' to our motives and the heart; both of which Jesus had a lot to say about.
    I really agree with Andrew on Christianity lookin just like the world in as much we usually want most of the same things.....SCC things! Even as I write these words on agreeing, I know how guilty I am of the SCC stuff. Thank goodness for a Savior!!
    I tried to send this 3 times last night. Dad and I couldn't figure it out. Ha ha!
    Forgive my English. I have never been good with writing, and it is too late to improve on old tricks! Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete